Riverside Police Department’s Traffic Enforcement Program was developed as a targeted response to traffic issues like speeding, failure to stop at stop sign, etcetera, in areas throughout the Village. The program addresses immediate concerns and uses information gathered to update the regular enforcement schedule.
Step one is to deploy a traffic monitoring device that gathers data on vehicle speeds and traffic volume; this is done so that RPD officers are assigned to areas within appropriate time periods based on peak volumes. Once RPD has assessed the traffic concern, a portable traffic speed sign (that can be set on any street in the village), is deployed. Over the course of the last year, RPD deployed the sign 102 times within the Village for speed monitoring. Riverside residents may request the sign directly through the Village web site or may contact the police department directly and ask that the sign be posted in their area.
Riverside Police Department officers have taken the following proactive steps in an attempt to calm traffic, reduce traffic congestion and curtail reckless drivers:
- Issued over 5,000 tickets in 2016.
- Increased patrols at area schools at drop off and dismissal. Every day that school is in session, a police officer is at one of the schools or a Community Service Officer is assigned for parking and traffic enforcement. This is done on a rotating schedule and as manpower allows.
- Public Works has increased the striping throughout the Village with thermoplasty high-visibility roadway striping which increases pedestrian safety.
- RPD participated in six separate grant-funded traffic enforcement details throughout the year to issue citations for disobeying driving laws in regard to: seat belts, cell phone use, speed limit, stop signs, drunk/drugged driving, and to encourage general speed reduction throughout the Village.
The police department has a state-certified child safety seat installation officer who helps those, who must transport small children, have their child safety seats adjusted properly in their vehicles by the officer if they wish. This is done by appointment and residents may contact the police department directly for this service.
- In an effort to increase traffic flow and safety, the police department issued over 2,400 parking and compliance tickets in 2016.
- The police department deploys a specially-utilized unmarked police car for traffic enforcement and impaired driving enforcement; that vehicle was deployed on 60 separate occasions in 2016.
- Riverside Police Chief Thomas Weitzel stated, "There’s not a single day that passes when an officer isn’t on some type of traffic or parking detail. Residents, business owners, and school officials always contact me requesting extra traffic enforcement in the village. However, due to limited manpower and calls for police service, this just isn’t possible every day at every single location, but we do maintain a police presence throughout the Village each day and traffic enforcement is a key component of the daily duties of a Riverside officer."
Any resident concerned about a potential traffic problem is encouraged to report them by going to the village web site at www.riverside.il.us and then selecting Police, about Riverside Police Department and then forms. Then select Speed Trailer Request Form.
The Village of Riverside recently completed a comprehensive village-wide traffic study performed by KLOA, Inc. to review traffic concerns throughout the Village. Many KLOA recommendations have already been implemented and the document itself is a work in progress to be utilized by Village staff in the future when major construction projects are anticipated or funding becomes available to make major road improvements. Residents may to review the traffic study on the Village web site www.riverside.il.us.
Any resident having a concern or question about traffic and parking enforcement may contact Chief Weitzel at email@example.com. Comments and suggestions from our residents and business community are always welcomed and are incorporated into our daily operational procedures.