The Riverside Board of Trustees recently approved a zoning ordinance update to allow more flexibility in the use of temporary event tents. The code now distinguishes between temporary storage tents and temporary event tents and has standards for temporary event tents
Temporary event tents:
- Do not require a building permit but they must meet all applicable building and fire safety codes.
- Can be installed up to two days prior to the event and must come down within two days after the event ends.
- Can be installed for up to 7 consecutive days and up to 30 days total in a calendar year.
- Temporary event tents cannot be located in a street yard (the area between the front of a building/house and the street) unless given approval from the Zoning Administrator.
- Residential temporary event tents are allowed in street yards, as long as the tent is up for less than 24 hours.