The Illinois EPA has reopened Household Hazardous Waste Collection Sites.
For safe transport of household hazardous waste, residents are asked to:
• Pack household hazardous waste items in a disposable box to avoid spilling during transport.• Keep like chemicals together and separate unlike chemicals.• Secure lids and make sure containers are not leaking.• Place box(es) of household hazardous waste in empty trunk of your vehicle, away from passengers during transport.• Remain in vehicle at collection site. On-site personnel will remove the household hazardous waste from your vehicle.
The following long-term collection facilities are available for disposal of household hazardous waste throughout the year:
• Naperville, 156 Fort Hill Drive (immediately North of Naperville Public Works), DuPage CountyHours: Saturdays 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM, Sundays 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM, Phone: 630-420-6095
• Rockford, Rock River Reclamation District, 3333 Kishwaukee, Winnebago CountyHours: Saturdays 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM, Sundays Noon - 4:00 PM, Phone: 815-987-5570
• Chicago, Goose Island, 1150 North Branch, Cook CountyHours: Tuesdays 7:00 AM - Noon, Thursdays 2:00 PM - 7:00 PM, andFirst Saturday of every month 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM, Phone: 312-744-3060
• Lake County, The Solid Waste Agency of Lake County (SWALCO) currently operates a long-term household chemical waste collection program. Information and a collection schedule can be found on their website or by calling 847-336-9340.
For questions concerning collections, please contact the Waste Reduction Unit of the Illinois EPA at 217-524-3300.