It has been a Riverside tradition for the Village Forester to host a tree planting ceremony with residents to celebrate Arbor Day each year in the Village in the Forest. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, social distancing makes this type of public gathering or celebration difficult. These challenging times call for creative new ways to continue our traditions and honor Frederick Law Olmsted’s vision for Riverside. To that end, the Forester would like to encourage every resident to meet their public tree(s) and learn about the benefits they offer our community.
To celebrate Arbor Day 2020 in Riverside, the Forester is pleased to announce the launch of the Riverside Public Tree Viewer. The viewer was created through a collaborative effort between the Forester, Municipal GIS Partners, Inc., and the Landscape Advisory Commission. Click on the link that follows to review the welcome page where you will find specific information on the many benefits trees provide our community. Then click ok to enter the interactive map of public trees for the entire Village. Zoom to your property to locate your parkway tree(s) and click on the green tree icon. Specific information and the benefits associated with your tree will be displayed for your review. Click here to open the Riverside Public Tree Viewer.
In these difficult times, trees and greenspace provide much needed benefits to improve our quality of life. The Village of Riverside devotes funding and staffing to maximize these benefits for residents by tree pruning, managing disease or insect outbreaks, and planting new trees to diversify our urban forest.
Suggestions for a socially distant celebration of Arbor Day 2020 in the Village in the Forest
· Show your support for trees and Arbor Day, by posting a selfie of you or your family with your parkway tree on social media this Friday, April 24, 2020.
· Get out there and hug your parkway tree!
· Parents can incorporate Arbor Day into daily learning activities.
· Use the Riverside Public Tree Viewer to identify your parkway tree(s) and write their names in sidewalk chalk in front of your home. Write a message about your tree and show your support. Draw a leaf!
· Step outside at 5:00 p.m. (weather permitting) and sing Happy Arbor Day (to the tune of Happy Birthday) to Riverside!
As a community, we can still acknowledge our support for Arbor Day and honor our historic tree-lined landscape while practicing social distancing. The Village is committed to keeping Riverside green and growing for future generations to enjoy. For more information on tree benefits, please follow the links below.
Morton Arboretum: https://www.mortonarb.org/science-conservation/cts/projects/benefits-trees
International Society of Arboriculture: https://www.treesaregood.org/treeowner/benefitsoftrees