Do Your Part to Make Sure Riverside Counts!
On April 1, 2020, a census will be taken of all persons living in the United States. It is important that every Illinois resident be counted so our state population accurately reflects our needs. Responses to the census questionnaire are CONFIDENTIAL. The information is not shared with other federal or state government agencies. The importance of participating in the census cannot be overstated. A complete and accurate count is particularly important to Riverside in the areas of state tax and federal funding distribution.
- Distribution rates for various state-shared revenues, such as the Local Government Distributive Fund (LGDF), Motor Fuel Tax and Use Taxes, are determined on a per capita basis. If the population of Riverside is underrepresented, the village will receive less funding.
- More than $675 billion in federal funding is distributed to states and communities every year based on population counts reported during the Census. Again, underrepresentation will result in less federal funding for projects that benefit Riverside residents. For every person undercounted, Illinois will lose $1400/year in federal funding for the term of the 2020 census.
In 2020, for the first time ever, the U.S. Census Bureau will accept responses online, but residents can still respond by phone or mail if they prefer. Beginning in mid-March, residents will receive a notice in the mail to complete the 2020 Census. Residents may respond online. In May, the U.S. Census Bureau will begin following up in person with households that haven’t responded to the census.
Be a Census Taker and make a difference in our community. Visit 2020census.gov/jobs for more information and to apply now.
What to watch for in the mail from the Census Bureau
- IL Count Me In 2020 Presentation - January 22, 2020
- 2020 Census Frequently Asked Questions
- How the 2020 Census will invite everyone to respond
- Census 101 - What you need to know - English
- Census 101 - What you need to know - Spanish
- The 2020 Census and Confidentiality - English
- The 2020 Census and Confidentiality - Spanish
- Census 2020 Brochure - English
- Census 2020 Brochure - Spanish