Certificate of Compliance for Property Sales and Transfers
The Village of Riverside Municipal Code Section 4-1-6 requires that property owners obtain a Certificate of Compliance whenever title is transferred for a structure, building, or dwelling unit, whether or not there is monetary consideration.
To determine if a property transfer qualifies as exempt, please visit the Exempt Transfers page.
For all transfers, the deed must be stamped by the Village before it is recorded. For non-exempt transfers, the Certificate of Compliance must be given to the new owner at the time of closing.
The expense for the Certificate of Compliance is the seller's responsibility. The base fee for a residential Certificate of Compliance is $325.
How to obtain a Certificate of Compliance
Please start this process 2-3 weeks before the closing date.
1. Finalize any open building permits. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to determine if there are any open permits for the property.
2. Gather the Required Information:
- The buyer's name(s).
- The buyer's agent's or attorney's name, phone number, and email address.
- A recent (no less than size months old) plat of survey.
3. Contact staff at email@example.com or at 708-447-1241 to schedule the required property inspection, which includes both an interior and exterior review of the property. The inspection and final water meter reading will be scheduled for a Wednesday or Friday morning, approximately seven to ten days before the closing date.
4. Submit the plat of survey via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The plat of survey must be submitted no later than one week prior to the closing date.
Please allow five business days for the Certificate of Compliance to be prepared once the inspection is complete. Village staff will contact you when the Certificate is ready to be picked up. Please bring the deed and the payments for the Certificate of Compliance, the final water bill, and any other fees due to the Village. Village staff will review the deed, stamp and sign it, and return the original documents to you for your closing.
If you have any questions, please contact the Community Development Department at 708-447-1241 or email@example.com.
Start your Certificate of Compliance process by completing the online form