The Village of Riverside requires that all building and construction projects (including alterations and repairs) that cost more than $500 obtain a building permit prior to work beginning.
- No demolition of a building (in whole or in part), structural, electrical or plumbing work of any kind may be performed without a permit regardless of the cost.
- Certain projects such as accessory buildings (i.e. shed or garage), fences, decks, and driveways require a building permit regardless of cost.
- Plumbing or electrical work shall not include routine or regular maintenance and/or minor repairs.
- Cosmetic work, such as tile, replacement and repair of carpet or hard flooring, or wall painting may not require a permit. If drywall is being replaced or work includes structural changes, a permit is required.
Building permits (PDF) are required by the Village as a means of protection. Permits establish objective criteria and standard practices to protect both property owners and residents, neighbors and, in general, all citizens of the Village. The permit process insures these parties that:
- Contractors are properly licensed and bonded.
- Work complies with building and life safety codes.
- A level of quality work is maintained throughout the Village.
- Appropriate building setbacks are maintained and property lines are not compromised.
Building permit fees are assessed at 1.75% of the job value with a minimum fee of $100. Additional fees (such as plumbing or electrical fees) may apply depending on the type of work. Plan review and parkway deposits may be required. The full list of fees can be found here.
Please see the Building Permit Process packet for detailed information.
For Water/Sewer Projects see additional information (PDF)
Please note: Effective January 1, 2016 the new Illinois energy efficiency code went into effect. All permits submitted after January 1, 2016 must comply with these regulations. (Exceptions for local historic landmark buildings may apply.)
Permit Plan Review and Inspection Services
As of February 18, 2022, the Village of Riverside contracts with T.P.I. Building Code Consultants for plan review and inspection services. Their team works with and on behalf of the village to perform assigned building operations.
How do I submit my permit application?
Although Village offices are open to the public, we encourage the electronic submission of all permit and license applications. We have implemented online payment processes to allow for the remote payment of building permit fees, Contractor’s License fees, and Certificate of Compliance fees. Once applications have been reviewed, we will send an invoice and online payment instructions via the email provided at time of application.
You may mail or email your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. They can also be dropped off in the silver drop box in front of Riverside Township Hall or brought in to the Building Department front desk.
Please call 708-447-1241 to schedule In-person building and compliance inspections.
Materials for the Building Department can be mailed or dropped in the silver payments box out front at 27 Riverside Road. You can also email your materials and applications to email@example.com.
In-person building and compliance inspections have resumed. Please call 708-447-1241 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule.