Landscape Advisory Commission
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
The Landscape Advisory Commission will hold its regular meeting on May 10, 2022, at 7:00 p.m. in Room 4 of the Riverside Township Hall, located at 27 Riverside Road. The Commission will also be holding a Special Meeting on Friday, May 13. Commissioners will be meeting outside Village Hall and walking down to the Swan Pond area for Integrated Lakes Management Training (ILM). The training will provide a brief overview on plant species identification.
About the Commission
Nature by Design Games– The Commission recently donated educational backpacks with games and activities teaching planned community design, garden design, and natural areas exploration to the Riverside Public Library. Nature by Design Games make the perfect rainy-day activity. The backpacks will be available for checkout at the Library. Funding was provided by a ComEd Green Grant and Openlands.
Picnic on the Swan Pond Bluff
(Spring & Fall) - May return in the Fall of 2020.
Volunteer to Help Beautify Riverside
The Landscape Advisory Commission works with volunteers throughout the Village to help beautify and maintain the landscape. This is an opportunity to meet some of your neighbors and improve our community. If you are interested in any of these opportunities or have ideas of your own, please contact the Village Office at 708-447-2700 or visit the Volunteer webpage.
There are many volunteer opportunities including:
• Landscape Work Days – Special planting days, weeding and invasive plant control
• Leading tours of the Village Arboretum or Natural Areas (in Development)
• Stewardship of green spaces (in Development)
Completed Projects - Thank you Volunteers!
• Swan Pond Planting - Over 9,000 plants!
• Tree Tagging – Name tags have been placed on trees in Guthrie Park.
• Natural Areas Restoration – Girl Scouts removed invasive species and planted natives along the Des Plaines River.
- ArbNet Accreditation - In September 2015, the Village of Riverside was recognized as an arboretum for its unique tree plantings, and for its stewardship of the landscape. The Village of Riverside was certified as an arboretum in 2015. Enter a street to get names and diameters about the trees in Riverside’s parkways and parks. See detailed information about the trees in Guthrie Park.
- Landscaping in the Landmark Village of Riverside - A Homeowner Guide to help residents consider design and use of plants in their own yards, as well as special considerations for the public lands in Riverside.
- iNaturalist – View identifications of plants and animals in Riverside and worldwide. Also upload your own photos any time of the year to have experts identify your specimen. Download the iNaturalist app to your device.