Kids Fishing Derby
Welcome to the First Annual Riverside Kids Fishing Derby!
2:30 to 3:00 p.m. Check-In (All participants must register online prior to June 5.)
3:00 to 5:00 p.m. Fishing
Awards and prizes will be immediately following the derby.
- There are two age groups for the derby: 5 - 8 & 9 -12
- All children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
- All age groups must cast, hook, and catch fish on their own. Parents may assist all age groups with baiting the hook and taking fish off the hook-if a parent does more than that then they must have a valid fishing license.
- All participants must provide their own fishing gear and bait.
- If your child needs help with getting ready, baiting the hook, fish removal, etc., look for our volunteers with Derby T-shirts. We’ll be glad to help!
- Fishing is limited to designated areas.
- Each child may only have one rod with one hook or lure in use at any time.
- All species of fish caught count towards a child’s total catch.
- Kids MUST NOT cast when people are walking behind them or in a way that interferes with other children fishing. Parents need to monitor this carefully in the interest of safety.
- This is a Catch and Release event. All fish must be carefully handled and returned to the water in a responsible way. Ask for help from our volunteers if you need it. The Derby encourages, but does not require, barbless hooks.
Recording Fish Catches
When you catch a fish, notify a Fishing Derby Volunteer who will record your fish on your tally sheet.
Awards and Prizes
There are two award divisions based on age group. There will be a grand prize for each age based on highest number of fish. If there is a tie, then the grand prize will be awarded by drawing. There will also be a trophy for first fish caught in each age group.
After awarding the grand prizes and trophies, there will be a raffle with age-appropriate prizes for each age group. If a child wins a raffle prize, he or she will select their prize from the appropriate raffle selection for their age group.
A child must be present at the award and raffle presentations to win. No exceptions!
A big Thank You! to our sponsor Riverside Bank for their contribution to this event. And thank you to our wonderful volunteers and to the the Riverside Parks and Recreation Department for managing the event!
*Please note: If necessary due to severe weather or dangerous river level, the Fishing Derby may be postponed at the Village's discretion. In this case, emails will be sent to all participants to notify.
Be Safe, Enjoy Our Beautiful River, and Have Fun!
To register, click the link below and login to your WebTrac household. Once logged in, click "Activity Search" and look up the code 222800 in keyword search. If you have any questions or are having trouble registering, please call the office at 708-442-7025. Thank you!
Session Day(s) Times Location Age
- No sessions
Session Day(s) Times Dates Location Age Max Participants