Members of Riverside Police Department are committed to providing law enforcement services that are fair, effective and impartially applied.
It is in the best interests of everyone that your complaint about the performance of an individual officer is resolved fairly and promptly.
The police department has formal procedures for investigating your complaint. These procedures ensure fairness and protect the rights of citizens and police officers.
- Your complaint will be sent to a superior officer or a specially trained internal affairs officer who will conduct a thorough and objective investigation.
- You might be asked to help in the investigation by giving a detailed statement about what happened or providing other important information.
- All complaints against police officers are thoroughly investigated. You will be advised in writing of the outcome of the investigation.
- If our investigation shows that a crime might have been committed, the county prosecutor will be notified. You might be asked to testify in court.
- If your investigation results in an officer being charged with a violation of department rules, you might be asked to testify in a department hearing.
- If our investigation shows that the complaint is unfounded or that the officer acted properly, the matter will be closed.
It is unlawful to provide information in this matter which you do not believe to be true.
The following applies ONLY to Citizen complaints: "To the best of my knowledge and belief, the statement I've written on this document is true and correct or true and correct as verbally relayed to me"
By checking the "I agree" box below, you agree and acknowledge that 1) your application will not be signed in the sense of a traditional paper document, 2) by signing in this alternate manner, you authorize your electronic signature to be valid and binding upon you to the same force and effect as a handwritten signature, and 3) you may still be required to provide a traditional signature at a later date.
This field is not part of the form submission.
* indicates a required field